Underworld Ascendant -- a return to Ultima Underworld!

Discussion of non-simulation gaming.

Underworld Ascendant -- a return to Ultima Underworld!

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:49 pm

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ot ... -ascendant

Ultima Underworld was completely and utterly revolutionary, and Looking Glass went on to create some of the most incredible games ever made. Losing Looking Glass was nothing less than a tragedy for gaming IMHO, so if this is a chance to bring them back in some form... well, I hope people get behind this one in force.

Underworld. System Shock. Thief. Legendary titles all, and a legacy deserving of support if there's a chance of adding another genre classic to the ranks.

The team is a mix of Looking Glass alumni and talent from elsewhere, and it sounds like they're excited to be pushing this style of game forward once more.
Shadowcat

Re: Underworld Ascendant -- a return to Ultima Underworld!

Postby Agent X20 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:23 am

I'd seen some chatter about this but hadn't checked it out... looks promising.

That said my last and only Kickstarter so far was Planetary Destruction and well... that didn't quite turn out how I'd hoped. Unit spamming galore and no "oomph" or weight to the gameplay, least that I've seen in the rather limited sessions I've had. (AKA Bring back TA).

Will keep an eye on this for sure. Might chip in.
Agent X20

Postby Bold » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:29 am

Agent X20 wrote:That said my last and only Kickstarter so far was Planetary Destruction and well... that didn't quite turn out how I'd hoped. Unit spamming galore and no "oomph" or weight to the gameplay, least that I've seen in the rather limited sessions I've had. (AKA Bring back TA).

Not even memorable enough for you to get the name right, that's saying something!

(I assume you mean Planetary Annihilation..)
Bold

Postby Agent X20 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:38 am

Bold wrote:(I assume you mean Planetary Annihilation..)

Hahah! I think my brain was saying Annihilation but my hands typed Destruction (or else it was autocorrect lol).
Agent X20

Postby Chomp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:27 am

Geez, I remember sometime over 20 years ago I had a friend around and we played ultima underworld.. I think around 5am I gave up and went to bed while he still keept playing in the room next door. What followed was the worst couple hours sleep ever where all I dreamed was ultima underworld and I can still pretty much hear the music in my head if I want to..
Chomp

Postby Agent X20 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:22 am

I've backed it.
Agent X20

Postby Shadowcat » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:30 pm

It's going to be interesting to see how much of a boost they get at the end of the campaign.

They've been tracking directly towards their base goal for most of the campaign, so it seems certain to be funded at the minimum. I think there's a decent chance they'll get past the $750K mark, but it's really hard to predict. At the start I had hoped they'd reach the $1M goal, but it quickly became apparent that it would almost certainly be out of reach. I can't envisage them doubling their money in the final third.
Shadowcat

Postby Agent X20 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:15 pm

Agent X20

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:00 am

A couple of hours remaining, and it looks like they'll be tipping the scales at close to $850K.

This seems like a pretty respectable outcome all things considered. I was hoping the campaign would be a runaway success; but seeing as how I found myself questioning at one point whether they'd ever get to $750K, I can't complain much about the end result.

It's still hard to believe that this is actually happening after so long. Fingers crossed that it all works out for them (and us).
Shadowcat

Postby Agent X20 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:49 am

Yeah not a bad result. I'm quietly optimistic but it's a looong way to go. Even though Elite's KS was rather rough it did feel like they were closer to shipping that these guys.

Now about that M1 Tank Platoon remake... or Terranova or...
Agent X20

Return to Other Games