Anyone interested in space combat games ?

Discussion of non-simulation gaming.

Re: Anyone interested in space combat games ?

Postby Agent X20 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:15 pm

Some debug camera shots. Note you cannot control your ship when you're using this so doing it mid combat isn't recommended:

Screenshot_0166.jpg

Screenshot_0172.jpg

Screenshot_0177.jpg
Agent X20

Postby ilikepie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:49 pm

That clipper looks sweet
ilikepie

Postby Agent X20 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:24 pm

ilikepie wrote:That clipper looks sweet

Yeah it is a cool ship - it's very fast, has an amazing view out the front, looks and sounds great, maneuvers well and has 2 x Class 3 and 2 x Class 2 hardpoints aaaannnd room for 180+ cargo. But while it's fast and has room for a good cargo load, it has a very small fuel tank and poor jump range, and it's stock shield is underpowered. It's also horrifyingly expensive to put A grade shields, thrusters and power plant. The primary hardpoints (on the wings) are also so far apart that you have to go gimbaled to hit anything small or close in front. It also requires large landing pads so you cannot use outposts for trading or turning in bonds etc. In a recent combat zone I had to buy a sidewinder in another system to go collect $150K of bonds.

Sometimes I do wish for the amazing range and rare trading abilities of my Asp. Nevertheless the Clipper has been a lot of fun so far.
Agent X20

Postby awful » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:07 pm

Just had my first decent crack since the wings update. It's good to see they've increased the amount of bounties, I made a couple of million in almost no time at all. I seem to be in a quiet corner of the Galaxy and only met one other player in a cobra but we joined up and hit a few resource extraction sites, so that new feature is pretty cool. I seem to have stumbled into a good sector for bounty hunters, Empire and Federation only a couple of jumps apart and systems with resource extraction sites and stations close by. Most importantly one of the systems has a real easy name to remember so I can find my way back there, Isis!
awful

Postby awful » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:36 am

Met up with 3 other guys tonight and got a bit of wing action, real good fun. Pretty unstable, one or another of us was crashing to desktop every 10 minutes or so but despite that the wing features seem pretty well thought out. If I could only figure out how to get rid of that stupid static voice coms
awful

Postby Bold » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:10 am

awful wrote:If I could only figure out how to get rid of that stupid static voice coms

You can mute each person on your friends tab, or I think there is a setting to disable it globally in the audio settings menu.
Bold

Postby Agent X20 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Bounties are definitely way up and you can make quite a bit in RES zones now - I gather even up towards $2M/hr if you get lucky with spawns.

Also the big battle of Lugh has all but finished and I came away with about $5M in accumulated combat bonds and $12.5M in rewards for being in the top 40% of pilots. I parked up my Clipper for this as it was too fat a target for the Pythons and Anacondas so I was always getting pummeled and the Clipper's shields aren't that hot, and bought a Vulture instead. What a lean mean killing machine that is. Wow - accelerates and maneuvers like crazy, super tough shields and a pair of Class 3 hardpoints mean it hits really hard.

Been having fun flying in a wing with a friend (in our private group to avoid griefers) and it seems to work really well, and I've not experienced any of the comms problems I was having earlier in the game's life.

Elite is coming along nicely. But it's still only as good or deep as you're prepared to make it.
Agent X20

Postby archbarch » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:47 pm

Nice - I was pretty happy to come away with 6M in rewards for top 70%, and that was with only about 350K in bounties. Definitely a hugely profitable community goal! The combat zones were extremely hot, and didn't try it in solo play so don't know how much of a difference that made, but I probably ended up having to insurance claim about four times. Quite a bit of money, but well worth it for the overall payout.

I'll check out the Vulture - sounds mean.
archbarch

Postby Agent X20 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:17 am

I used both sides of the community goals to come away with 30M! I parked up my Clipper and used a Vulture and wow what a lean mean combat machine.

Screenshot_0215.jpg

After that I sold up the Vulture and Clipper and decided it was (trader) Python time:

Screenshot_0222.jpg

Unlike the Clipper can land on Outposts and use medium size landing pads. Opens up a lot more trade opportunities.

Screenshot_0219.jpg

244 tons of Gold outbound to Andhrimi.

Screenshot_0225.jpg

Ready to jump - getting hot.
Agent X20

Postby archbarch » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:24 am

Nice work! I had a frustrating few hours yesterday, decided to strike out for Pleiades. With no fuel scoop, it took me a couple of self destructs before I realised that there are actually some very large expanses of uninhabited space...
archbarch

Postby beepee » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:31 pm

It is available on Steam for $69.99NZD.

I am very tempted.
beepee

Postby Agent X20 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:09 pm

archbarch wrote:Nice work! I had a frustrating few hours yesterday, decided to strike out for Pleiades. With no fuel scoop, it took me a couple of self destructs before I realised that there are actually some very large expanses of uninhabited space...

I bet that was frustrating. I've not been exploring properly myself but you'll want a Hauler, Cobra or particularly an Asp (big fuel tank!) with an A spec frameshift drive and D spec for the rest. And as good a discovery/surface scanner as you can get. Also an auto repair module or 2 or 3. Plus a big fuel scoop for as you've found there are big gaps out there and plenty of systems you cannot scoop from.
Agent X20

Postby Agent X20 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:12 pm

beepee wrote:It is available on Steam for $69.99NZD.

I am very tempted.

Don't worry - no more pics/stories until the end of the week due to Easter break.

Frontier badly misread (or just didn't think) how the existing user base would react to the game coming out of Steam. They initially said "no keys for you" but have gone away to think about it after the howls of protest from a great many users. (Apparently it is quite easy to migrate users across to Steam in such a scenario). Thing is we don't know the financial implications for Frontier - with Steam potentially taking a cut of migrated users' future purchases.
Agent X20

Postby beepee » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:36 am

I ended up buying from the site.

I spent a good 8 hours on it on Monday. I spent a good deal exploring and just messing around mainly trading in Solo mode.

Got killed once trying to take out a Type 6 (or 7?) transport.

Which mode is better? Open or Solo?

I'm at such a low level I assume I would get beaned pretty quick against other human players.
beepee

Postby ilikepie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:33 am

ive been using all 3, im far enough away from the populated systems to not encounter any pvp (griefers) private is a popular mode too, but its horses for courses really my CMDR name is.....wait for it.....

ilikepie
ilikepie

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games