What are you playing at the moment?

Discussion of non-simulation gaming.

Re: What are you playing at the moment?

Postby Agent X20 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:06 am

I just spent a very enjoyable evening getting into Deus-Ex. Very impressive so far. It just oozes atmosphere and a very Bladerunner vibe particularly via the music. I'm really looking forward to getting further into it.
Agent X20

Postby Agent X20 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Finally finished Deus Ex. By and large it held up to the original promise by effectively blending elements of Thief,Bladerunner and the original. It also managed to almost avoid the problem of samey environments padding things out, although the ending did feel a little bit rushed. Of course the multiple endings angle really added to the sense of shaping the story.

About the only negative was the boss fights that were somehow both jarring and frustrating.
Agent X20

Postby Carey75 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Currently I am playing Halo: Reach. It is one of the best and most popular game. It is first person shooter game which is created by Bungie. It is the series of Halo. The graphics and animation of this game are fantastic. Its unique levels gives better concentration in games and also attract the people to play game. Halo: Reach is one of the my favorite game.
And also going through my PSX list for the moment. I just dropped Hoshigami - it turned out to be another "overlevel = win" srpg, ugh. I tried to like it, I put 50 hours into the Tower of Trials (optional sidetrip to levelup since there are no random encounters in this game), but it turned out to be a waste of time.

I dug out Breath Of Fire III (hadn't played it yet since I bought it... years ago), man, check out those SNES-era graphics. Not that I normally care, but I'm not really in an old-school mood right now. Same goes for Xenogears - I was taken aback by the whole 3D thing, the PSX doesn't really pull it off well.

Not a good end to the year eh. I guess I'll be busy preparing for the weekend gig instead, I need a break from gaming. I blame it all on Starshatter and Tachyon - I was really keyed up for a good space sim game... and they really disappointed me. I don't really need something that looks great, I just want something that's fun to play... which is why I still keep Empire Deluxe and Titans of Steel around.
Carey75

Postby ilikepie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:50 pm

the bones of tachyon were there but it was lacking in what the french would call......i dont know what
ilikepie

Postby Agent X20 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:35 pm

I just polished off the Deus Ex DLC - The Missing Link. I thoroughly enjoyed having another opportunityto immerse myself in the Deus Ex world. The graphics have been improved and the art design and soundtrack remains as compelling as ever. In fact I'm listening to the soundtrack right now - enjoying the whole Bladerunner vibe.

Deus Ex Human Revolution is one of those few games I've played through to the very end, and I enjoyed it every step of the way (well except a couple of the boss fights but I knew about them coming into it). I highly recommend Deus Ex HR if you're into the Thief / System Shock / Assassin's Creed / Mass Effect style of games. And it's cheap too.

Looking forward to a sequel. Big time.
Agent X20

Postby Chomp » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:30 am

Brining a thread back from the dead but it's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking when I first made it..

A few months ago I bought counterstrike global offensive but I never played it. I gave it a go over the last couple of days. What a blast from the past. Improved graphics but what nostalgia playing some of those old maps like italy and remembering the layouts and best places to ambush from, a few new maps as well.

I only ever put a few hours on BF3. Kind of thinking about bf4, not sure about it though.. anyone playing bf4?
Chomp

Postby Noon416 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:38 am

Rust. More Rust. Way more Rust. Too much Rust. :lol:

It's ridiculously fun in a harsh "survive, hunt, build & explore" style of play, and that's been achieved while still in very early alpha!
They're definitely on to a winning formula that is resonating nicely throughout players of all ages.
Noon416

Postby Agent X20 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:51 am

Talk about a resurrect!

Me, apart from a spot of Rise of Flight flying the Camel, I've played a whole bunch of Assassin's Creed IV. Trouble is being a bit of a completionist (OCD anyone?) these types of open world games made by UbiSoft with all the extra busy-work things to do sprinkled gratuitously across the maps, makes for a game that starts to really drag. In a ways I'm a little burnt out at 2/3rds progress. Maybe I'll go back to it in a bit.

Other than that I've played a fair bit of StarBound. Again, it plays on my completionist leanings digging, digging, digging, just in case I find something, or to just get a bit more stuff. Trouble is the game is really rather empty still at this early stage. I reckon there's still quite a lot of content to be added. Still I don't have to engage my brain too much so that's good for a sessions after a long day at work and after the kids are in bed.

Oh I've also played a bunch of Splinter Cell Blacklist. It's polished, very functional, and does what it sets out to do but it's somehow hollow. The main protagonist misses Michael Ironsides' gravitas and some of the plot points are really forced or contrived (not too surprising that). The gameplay also gets fairly repetitive quite quickly. I'll finish it but only to see what's at the end - not because I really want to.

I do have a hankering to fly the A10A in DCS and do some lighter flight-simming...
Agent X20

Postby Agent X20 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:03 am

Noon416 wrote:Rust. More Rust. Way more Rust. Too much Rust. :lol:

I could see that in my Steam Friends list. Always with the Rust. Someone's horribly hooked. Still working the day job? Family thinks you've gone missing?
Agent X20

Postby Chomp » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:03 pm

It's ridiculously fun in a harsh "survive, hunt, build & explore" style of play, and that's been achieved while still in very early alpha!
They're definitely on to a winning formula that is resonating nicely throughout players of all ages.

Survive, hunt, build and explore. So it's minecraft without the 8 bit graphics? :)
Chomp

Postby Agent X20 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:38 pm

StarBound is like Minecraft, only sideways WITH 8 bit graphics with GUNS and SPACESHIPS!

SIGH. You're right.... I've been playing a kids game.
Agent X20

Postby Noon416 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Agent X20 wrote:

I could see that in my Steam Friends list. Always with the Rust. Someone's horribly hooked. Still working the day job? Family thinks you've gone missing?

That would explain the noises I've been hearing ... turns out I have children!! :P

Yeah it's pretty impressive for a game that is very early alpha. The "One more day" syndrome is pretty strong and with each game day being 1 hour, that has lead to a few of us going through the following:
"Man, it's 1am, I should go to bed! .... what?! It's 2am?! I should go to bed! .... wait, when did 3am get here? .... okay guys, 4am, definitely bedtime!"
It's been a long time since a game has had so many of the Simcentral guys in one game at the same time. :)

Chomp, that's not an inaccurate description. You basically have the building & crafting elements from Minecraft with the player interaction from DayZ (just as deadly!), in a mix that comes out just right.
Noon416

Postby Chomp » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Aha, so in that case it is mine craft with the hunger games mod and better graphics. Better not ever let my kids see it.
Chomp

Postby splatman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:19 pm

Rust. Mmmmmm looks interesting
splatman

Postby Chomp » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:46 pm

I bought battlefield 4 from amazon using my youpost address as it wont sell outside the states. At the end of it I got my code and it cost about 40nzd, less than half the price you can get it for buying from EA. what a rip off.

So then I went to download and my jaw dropped.. 24 gig download.. might get to play before bed..
Chomp

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games