What are you playing at the moment?

Discussion of non-simulation gaming.

Re: What are you playing at the moment?

Postby Evil Chicken » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:37 pm

Playing a bit of DCS A10 when I can find the time. But most of my time is spent trying to get it to work properly. Will get there eventually though. :)

Still playing IL2 1946 religiously on Friday nights and most Sunday nights with the TFK guys.
Evil Chicken

Postby R33GZ » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Mostly only play IL2 on PC... am revisiting a bit of Combat Mission at the moment, but nothing too serious.

Have just finished Far Cry 2 on Xbox, which i thought was epic, although I know others werent too impressed with it. Currently playing Call of Juarez, whcih is surprisingly good for a western FPS.

As far as getting away from the haxor kids goes... I think your really limited to either local hosting, or going for games that require thought and effort :?: Any of teh big gaming servers seem to be overun with 13 year old little maggots spewing nonsense into the console
R33GZ

Postby Agent X20 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:38 pm

BTW for those still playing Company of Heroes, there's a big new patch out with masses of balance tweaks and half a dozen new maps.

(Now if only their patching process wasn't so bad - Steam will take the pain away of course)
Agent X20

Postby Bold » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Agent X20 wrote:(Now if only their patching process wasn't so bad - Steam will take the pain away of course)

Not if you're stuck on Mobile broadband with a measly 8gb per month cap, and Steam has auto started the 4gig download, now I cant play it at all :(

Not that I have been playing it lately, just saying :)
Bold

Postby Agent X20 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:11 pm

Yes... I thought they would have fixed the Steam download issue by now...
Agent X20

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:57 pm

I've been playing Frozen Synapse, which is a new single- and multi-player simultaneous turn based tactical combat game, and I like it a lot.

There's a first-impressions video called WTF is Frozen Synapse which I recommend watching. It's a bit lengthy at 20+ minutes long, but he plays through an early mission, and it gave me a far better idea of how the game actually plays than anything else I'd seen.

Due to the demand apparently exceeding their expectations by quite some margin, the multiplayer servers have been struggling, but I've been happy just playing the single-player story-based campaign offline. That aside, there is an instant random skirmish option, a mission builder, and an array of multiplayer options (including play-by-email), with the expectation that you may have numerous games on the go at any one time.
Shadowcat

Postby PrimaryMan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Wow I really like the look of that Frozen Synapse, I haven't played anything like that. I remember using the tactical planner in Rainbow Six all those years ago like the guy in the video said. I'm seriously thinking of getting this one.

When you buy it online they give you a free copy to give away to a friend. Anyone one else interested in this game?
PrimaryMan

Postby PrimaryMan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:29 pm

I see that Steam has FS for US$24.99 with a free copy but the developers website has it for US$19.99 with a free copy.

Website here:
http://www.frozensynapse.com/synapsePreorder.html
PrimaryMan

Postby Shadowcat » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:37 pm

You can also activate on Steam a copy you have purchased directly from the developers, with the caveat that (IIRC) you only get one Steam activation between the two copies of the game in that case, and either person could use it; so make sure you deal with that before you give your friend the details for their copy :)
Shadowcat

Postby Noon416 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Just reinstalled Descent 1 & 2 after grabbing the latest updates for DXX Rebirth.

The coolest aspect is the updated engine. They keep the look and interface all the same, but let you use modern resolutions and anti-aliasing if you want. A nice touch is the persistent wreckage, you can see where you had your big scraps for the rest of your time in that session.
Hell of a lot of fun even after so many years, 'tis giving the joystick a good workout again ... err ......
Noon416

Postby Chomp » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Heh, I spent a fair bit of time in descent when it first came out :)
Chomp

Postby Agent X20 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:39 am

PrimaryMan wrote:I see that Steam has FS for US$24.99 with a free copy but the developers website has it for US$19.99 with a free copy.

Website here:
http://www.frozensynapse.com/synapsePreorder.html

Frozen Synapse is going for $US16.74 in the Steam sale this weekend.
Agent X20

Postby PrimaryMan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:05 pm

I got Frozen Synapse a few weeks back and I'm working my way through the single player campaign.

I'm liking the story line and finding the game very challenging. It's actually quite hard to get through without losing a few of your vatforms.

If you like planning out tactics down to the last details you'll love this game. Graphics are simple but suite the game exactly.
PrimaryMan

Postby The Sea Peoples » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:10 pm

After playing a bit of RBR demo again I have decided to buy it. Still have good memories of playing it on the PS2.
I want to try out an online rally with one of these mods.
The Sea Peoples

Postby Gille » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:33 am

I've been playing Wings of Prey for my flight fix, though I do need to get back into IL2. I had been waiting for COD to come out but after seeing the negative press and system requirements I didn't bother with it.

On PS3 I've enjoyed both Resistance games. The first one for it's splitscreen co-op which I played with my son while the second had a fun and colourful single player campaign. My son likes playing Lost Planet 2 with me, but we both hate the fact that if you die you restart from the beginning of the chapter.
I've just started X-men origins and it's a fun though bloody adventure.
Gille

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games