What are you playing at the moment?

Discussion of non-simulation gaming.

What are you playing at the moment?

Postby Chomp » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:51 am

The title seems familiar, I know it's popped up here before..

I haven't really played anything for a couple months now. Before that I was putting some time in to A10 but I wish they would get that multiplayer sorted.

Over the years I haven't really been playing and FPS games but that's where I was heavily involved back in the quake 2/rocket arena days. Fond memories, clans, competitions and a bit of winning :) Quake 2 died out and I moved to quake 3 but it didn't seem as fun, then I played CS for a while until it was dominated by kids. Some team fortress etc. I put in some serious hours on battlefield 1942 and then the desert combat mod.

So, I am thinking about playing something fps. To be honest, I have resisted a bit because I never want to get back in to the habit of spending that much time playing FPS and they can be addictive.

ARMA doesn't have the number of people online to satisfy me and I can never do the organised things..

So what casual fps's are you guys playing? I guess BF, call of duty and team fortress are the main ones at the moment? Are any of them more mature than others - I mean less kids running around screaming like little girls with the console filled with 'hack' 'cheat' every other second?

Would be good to see someone online..
Chomp

Re: What are you playing at the moment?

Postby ilikepie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:59 am

killing floor.

small teams, loads of zombies and giblets. good for a mindless shooter.

steam based
ilikepie

Postby beepee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:27 pm

IL 2 1946

Cliffs Of Dover fps stutterfest.

Battlefield 2 mods and vanilla.
beepee

Postby Chomp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:37 pm

Are people still playing battlefield 2? Are there many servers about?

After playing il2 last night it is far and away better than COD graphically for the low settings I need. I didn't know that the US release for COD is not for another couple weeks so they are probably rushing a patch out for that.

Interestingly, I have seen some youtube vid where it is running really well on pc's much lower spec'd than mine so it could be that there isn't a huge optimisation problem but some hardware incompatabilities. Who knows.

I played a bit of BFBC2 and team fortress 2 today, good for a quick blast.
Chomp

Postby Agent X20 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:57 am

Chomp wrote:Interestingly, I have seen some youtube vid where it is running really well on pc's much lower spec'd than mine so it could be that there isn't a huge optimisation problem but some hardware incompatabilities. Who knows.

You sure that isn't track files recorded and then played back at high graphical settings...?
Agent X20

Postby beepee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:06 pm

Are people still playing battlefield 2? Are there many servers about?

Surprisingly, Yes. There are still a heap of servers running. That might change soon withthe impending BF3 (Which looks insane).
beepee

Postby Gille » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:17 pm

I've been playing Company of Heroes [The Anthology set]. I'm really enjoying the game, even though it's not as realistic as CMBB. However the speed of the game play, and the necessary micro management of my unit's came as a shock.
I guess I was used to CMBB's at leisure set up phase then 'Oh Crap' watch your plan fall apart at leisure phase. In COH my finger rarely stray's from the pause button.
Gille

Postby Chomp » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Agent X20 wrote:
Chomp wrote:Interestingly, I have seen some youtube vid where it is running really well on pc's much lower spec'd than mine so it could be that there isn't a huge optimisation problem but some hardware incompatabilities. Who knows.

You sure that isn't track files recorded and then played back at high graphical settings...?

Yes, I think you are right, I have just seen some more but at elast the guy said he had done that, the original guy didn't say that.

I wonder if this was done in any of the update videos? :hmm:
Chomp

Postby Raha » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:08 pm

Apart from IL-2 of course i've been into FSX lately. A couple of weeks ago I purchased the very latest in Spitfire Simulation, the A2A MkI and MKII spitfire, with accusim.
Bloody awesome for complete engine management realisim it's great.

Quite an eye opener as to how difficult it must have been to actually fly these things properly let alone stay out of trouble and maybe even score a kill.

Here's a link to the two manuals that came with it if anyone is interested. Some info on startup procedures and engine management from about page 27 on in the accusim one.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 77&t=23585
Raha

Postby Agent X20 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:34 am

As I've mentioned elsewhere my gaming PC is packed away during the house selling process. Still I have my XBox so I've been doing a wee bit of Shift 2 and my iPhone and iPad are filling in the gaps - in particular Dungeon Raid on the iPhone which still has me hooked after weeks of playing.
Agent X20

Postby Noon416 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Pretty much just Eve Online as of late, with lots of gaming on the Touch. Been too tired to engage in anything more demanding, hell even Shogun Total War 2 is sitting unopened on my desk! :o

Doesn't help that my current PC is struggling to run a lot of modern games now, even with low settings.
Once I get my new rig, I suspect I'll bust out a number of games like Stalker so I can finally see what they're like at max detail. Roll on the new PC (anyone want to buy a great little economical car?)
Noon416

Postby Shadowcat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:35 pm

I finished "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" a few days ago (which was excellent, and occasionally quite terrifying), and am now continuing the fright-fest with the classic and brilliant "Realms of the Haunting" (which just popped up on GOG.com the other day, to my absolute delight).

I've also been playing "Blood" recently (which vaguely fits that theme as well, albeit more at the comedy end of the scale :)
Shadowcat

Postby The Sea Peoples » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:37 am

DCS a10c mainly
Cliffs of dover when I can bare it.
Might try Arma 2 again, although getting the constantly updating mods is a pain.
I had been playing Fifa Online alot, but it recently came to an end :( . I would buy Fifa 11 but its not as good without having mouse control.
The Sea Peoples

Postby Chomp » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 am

Yes Monkey, I wouldn't mind having a blat with arma but the updates required all the time to play online make it not worth the hassle if it's not your primary game.

The a10 patch is working ok for me but I cant join any online servers because my FPS goes to 1 :( I don't know whats happening there..

Hopefully pie will get it going. It seems a lot of people are having success by installing again from .6 then applying .7 patch.

I have one of my design pc's in the other room, it's a core2 quad running at 3.2ghz + 4gigs ram. I thought we could use it for a server as it's never doing anything most of the time.

A bit more reading and it looks like I would have to buy a new copy of the game just to use it as a server..!! It would be good if eaglesoft allowed you to start a server but not a client without a separate key.
Chomp

Postby The Sea Peoples » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:09 pm

I seem to have broke my Arma 2 game when it comes to multi. I get kicked from all servers. It just got patched from steam to 1.59, maybe I needed to have disabled all my mods before the update applied itself.
I think I am going to have to reinstall it all. :(
The Sea Peoples

Next

Return to Other Games