Damning assessment of the F35

Anything non simulation or gaming related here!

Re: Damning assessment of the F35

Postby Evil Chicken » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:51 pm

Woody01 wrote:[

Is it also a fundamental shift in fighter pilot mentality?

Yeah, the Wifes Uncle is an aircraft engineering trainer at Air NZ and he once told me the difference between the Boeing and the Airbus is that the Boeing defaults to pilot control when everything turns to shit and the airbus defaults to computer control. Sounded a bit scary to me at the time but maybe it's the way of the future.

Alway's made me wonder whether Captain Skully used gung hoe fighter pilot skills to land his Airbus A320 in the Hudson river or just punched in Hudson river into the computer instead of the original destination? :?:
Evil Chicken

Postby Bearhedge » Thu May 07, 2015 4:55 pm

Just reading old threads a bit here - this one is interesting.

I did a bit of a US road trip just before and as part of it visited the Edwards AFB where they are test flying the bird in question.

From an aviation enthusiast's point of view it was obviously very exciting to see the F-35's zoom about (2 were flying at the time, one of which was the naval version testing slow-speed flight with the vertical fan on. So cool.).

From the perspective of an economics scholar, though, things appear a bit murkier. Horses for courses; you can't help but wonder if a single airframe can reasonably stretch to the multitude of tasks expected of it and whether in this age of asymmetrical warfare it makes sense to spend (a lot of!) money on things like radar stealth, which may give you an edge against a strategic opponent but won't be of any use against MANPADS or small-arms fire.

I'm sure an A-10 or the present-gen F-15/F-16 would light up on an EWR screen like a christmas tree, but is it an issue when chances are your opponent doesn't have EWR or any AA capability beyond IR SAMs and even if they did, you have air superiority and hard-kill SEAD in place as standard procedure of operation.

Russians and the Chinese are developing their own stealth fighters now, of course, so there's no way the US will hop off the band wagon...but it does look like they are trying to fix a flawed concept by throwing money at the problem.
Bearhedge

Postby Evil Chicken » Tue May 19, 2015 10:08 pm

The super high tech weaponry is all fine and dandy in peacetime, a cold war or a short border scirmish but in a real conflict it will come down to brute force and ignorance :evil:

Arming the peasants quickly with basic easy to use and quickly manufactured weapons and equipment will win the day. As long as you can con them into it. ;)

Not saying it's not impressive to see some of the concepts they're coming up with these days. _b
Evil Chicken

Postby Agent X20 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:20 am

So here we are looking at how dire the whole F35 thing is, but consider some of the problems with the F22. There are only like 180 of them with a significant number out of service at any one time, and now we learn:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/why-it ... 1704889474

34 years ago, the USAF set out to build a fighter that could guarantee American air superiority for decades to come. $75B, 563 less aircraft than planned, and a decade after being declared operational later, the F-22 still doesn’t have what some MiG-21s have, a Helmet Mounted Sight and a missile to go with it.

Wow.
Agent X20

Postby Bearhedge » Mon May 25, 2015 11:43 am

That is pretty appalling. I remember reading some AirInternational magazine 15 years ago about the new all-mighty Sidewinders and how the F-22 can fire them off-boresight behind them and whatnot...year 2015 they are still not there. I'd hate to think what else you could have achieved with USD$75b over 34 years.
Bearhedge

Postby Agent X20 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:43 pm

Well that worked (jump to the 6 minute mark):

Agent X20

Postby Agent X20 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:05 pm

Agent X20

Postby Agent X20 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:54 pm

So on top of recent news of reducing the initial buy of F35s by a significant margin there's a reprieve planned for the A10:

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... block-buy/
Agent X20

Previous

Return to Off Topic