Flight Simulator rediscovered

General simulations discussion.

Re: Flight Simulator rediscovered

Postby Agent X20 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Funny you should mention that - I was reading that article the other day.

St Barth's is a popular one - and has featured in Frugalsim's videos using great scenery from Fly Tampa:
http://secure.simmarket.com/flytampa-ma ... lete.phtml

The simmarket video showcases that very approach shown in your link. Frugal's also filmed a clip there in person and was a fun watch.
Agent X20

Postby Chomp » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:30 am

I see fsx is on sale for $6 again at the moment. I decided to get it just because it will be easier than the 3 or 4 disks it takes to install at the moment as well as the online activation..
Chomp

Postby Agent X20 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Yeah much easier to install, plus it has a few important fixes and optimisations. It also has working multiplayer.
Agent X20

Postby Chomp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:30 pm

OK, so I had bought fsx:se through steam but didnt install it on my machine for a bit. I put it on because I wanted to try out a plugin that makes the oculus rift work.

I got it working and I can say that it has made me bother to put some of my addons back on. I havent installed REX yet as I msut admit, that was always a bit of a pita working with it but I have added some scenery.

It is certainly the best flying experience in the rift so far. They use something called timewarp that is part of the oculus sdk. It makes things smoother when you cannot get the 75 fps that the rift requires to make it look good, and not give you a headache.

It does an amazing job, I can see the fps in FSX, often under 40 yet it is smooth as anything else in the rift.

FSX needs this technology by itself even without the rift, it does a supurb job of making a lower framerate appear higher. Now I will have to find some cool places to fly in to as it is a whole lot different in the rift.
Chomp

Postby Agent X20 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:17 pm

Sounds like fun. How have you solved the 'can't see the keyboard/controller' problem?

Good places to fly into... how about Samoa from ORBX?

Agent X20

Postby Chomp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:35 pm

That Samoa looks great, I have some of the other orbx stuff and it improves the default tremendously, as you already know.

I never had the controller issue. I can always find my hotas and mouse, I dont even have to fumble around. Both my racing and flying rig is setup for VR so everything is in an easy spot. I have never used the keyboard for shortcuts. It's either mapped to the hotas or I use the clickable cockpit which you can still do in VR.

I have a pilot mate who has a leap motion so I will have him around when this alpha goes gold as it will incorporate a leapmotion interface for doing the buttons/switches etc. I saw a nice video about it somewhere but cant find it..
Chomp

Postby Agent X20 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:20 am

As part of my whole "learning how to fly properly" I've been building up to an IFR flight of multiple waypoints with IFR clearances and spending most of the flight buried in the clouds. Unfortunately last night I had one of the most frustrating flights ever.

The flight was intended to use the stock FSX Mooney, but I thought it would be better to use the A2A C182 and swapped it into my flight. The problem was, once airborne, I simply could not get the autopilot to fly to or hold an altitude. And when you're in the clouds that's crazy dangerous while you're looking at the nav and com gear. Similarly I could not get the plane to fly a VOR radial under autopilot, instead it would fly off in another direction entirely. (Yes I had the AP input set to NAV not GPS).

Having double check everything, these problems were driving me utterly bananas, and in fact my flight ended in a catastrophic nose dive. Man I was pissed having been working up to this my most challenging flight to date.

Subsequent investigations on the A2A forums make it appear there is a recent bug in the A2A autopilot that might explain the inability to settle at the selected altitude. They've put out a patch which I'll try tonight. Whether this also solves my VOR hassles remains to be seen.

Deeeeep breaths - and we'll try it again tonight. I need to prove my IFR flying skills before I start with ILS approaches.
Agent X20

Postby Agent X20 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Success! As well as a possible altimiter bug, it turns out there are a couple of subtle but VERY important differences in how the A2A C182 autopilot works compared to the stock FSX planes.

You need to arm altitudes in certain situations when setting your target altitude, and the hdg bug cannot be changed independent of the autopilot. It was this last one that had me veering off course repeatedly.

So cracked my VOR IFR flying mission. Now it's time to tackle ILS landings and get to learn about approach plates and more.
Agent X20

Postby Chomp » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:41 pm

How do you mean? Both autopilots in the 182 and the default use the heading bug as the heading when engaging HDG on autopilot.

So on either aircraft if you are following a heading using HDG on autopilot, they will both follow the bug of you move it. I might be mis-reading what you are saying.
Chomp

Postby Agent X20 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:25 pm

When you're in NAV autopilot mode you use the CDI bug on NAV1 to track a VOR beacon and fly the radial. My training course material talks about mirroring the CDI with the HDG bug as a back up and to ease switching modes.

Flying the default Mooney or 182 you can move the HDG bug independently of the autopilot when in NAV (not HDG) autopilot. What was catching me out is that you cannot do this on the A2A 182 as modeled in its autopilot. If you get set up in NAV autopilot mode and then try to move the HDG bug the autopilot will forget the radial you're following and follow after the HDG bug. This doesn't happen on other aircraft I've flown and was what was driving me barmy as I tried to work out the whole VOR navigation/autopilot business.

Apparently this is something to do with the 182 as modelled by A2A not having the more advanced HSI instrumentation ('cause it's an expensive aftermarket addon), which is perhaps what is modeled in the default aircraft.
Agent X20

Previous

Return to Simulations